Dry-docking and Projects for Shipping
Dry- docking often represent 60 – 70% of the maintenance cost for a ship and controlling these costs is vital. In the Star Project Application cost control is in focus, included approval of the project scope and any changes to the project cost are subject for approval.
Star Project Application is a corporate solution covering functions and processes often done in personal excel sheets. Using Star Project Application makes the dry-docking process a corporate operation with cost visibility and change notification to the organization during all project stages.
The software supports all phases in projects:
- Initiate project
- Build the project scope (project content) and scope approval
- Cost estimation and cost approval
- Making docking specifications for quotation process
- Quotation process and vendor selection, including cost control of assigned contracts
- Detailed project planning (Gantt chart)
- Project execution, including control of actual costs and handling of project scope changes
- Project completion and evaluation
The project application works can be configured as a separate application or work hand in hand with the maintenance modules in the Star software solution. Work orders from the regular maintenance plan can be transferred into a project where they become included in the project scope and disappear from the regular maintenance plan.
The project application has also a library of standard project jobs which can be assigned to the project and form the total project scope together with the maintenance jobs that have been transferred. In addition, the project can hold other project related costs like:
- Unit priced items
- General services
- Material costs (owners supplied items)
- Internal costs
Any documents, like specifications, drawings, pictures, etc. can be linked into the project, either to one specific project activity (work order) or to the project itself.